Ever thought about having a passive income source where you can earn money even if you sleep? Now, this is Affiliate Marketing all about if you promote it well you will making money from it.
This post contains an affiliate link and if you purchase via my link I will get a small commission at no extra cost to you! Thank you for your support!
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate Marketing is when you promote a company’s product or service and when you apply for becoming an affiliate you will receive a special link what is tracked every time someone purchases something via your link. And therefore you will get a commission.
You can join Affiliate Networks where you will find the companies you want to promote, but always stick to your niche don’t overdo and apply for each and every program you don’t know and use.
How you can use Affiliate links
- Promote products that will benefit your readers
- Write “how-to” guides
- Write informative and helpful posts give readers a wealth of information
- Connect with readers by providing a personal experience with the company or make some photos while you use their product
So, how helping your readers and monetize your blog you have to go through these steps:
- Make a list of the companies you want to promote in your niche
- Google for the company/brand affiliate program (mostly they have it in the footer, but sometimes you can find the application form in the main menu)
- If you find it just go and fill out the form after they will receive your details and set you on pending status while they will review your application.
Can I use affiliate links if I’m not self-hosted?
It depends on which free platform you use, but I don’t recommend it at all. While on a self-hosted blog you own your content on free not.
You can use Siteground or Bluehost which are really affordable compared to other companies.
But it doesn’t matter on which platform you promote the affiliate links we bloggers have to stick to guidelines cause there is a legal side of this whole thing.
What to look up for when using Affiliate links
The American Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires marketers/bloggers to disclose their relationships with companies if they receive something in exchange for something like an affiliate link, for example:
- If you receive commission after someone purchased something via your link
- Any product you get from the company in exchange for a post on your blog or social media
But this doesn’t you have to scare you away from using Affiliate Marketing as your source of income.
For example, I have a disclosure in my sidebar with the following:
The blog might use affiliate links in posts or on pages. I will be rewarded with a small commission after your purchase something I recommend, at no extra cost to you!
Best Affiliate Programs to join
At ShareASale, you can find companies like Etsy, Tailwind, and WP Engine. They have programs that are both commission-based and pay-per-lead, so you can always have the opportunity to earn money.
The minimum payout is $50 and you can receive it via direct deposit or check.
FlexOffers is an affiliate network that offers something for everyone. From business to apparel they have so much affiliate programs.
Their minimum payout is $100 which they send via direct deposit (US) or Paypal.
Awin connects bloggers with the following companies also Etsy, Fiverr, and Swagbucks. They also have programs that are both commission-based and pay-per-lead which makes it really easy to get the minimum threshold of $20.
The only difference with Awin is that you have to pay $5 when you sign up (this is for security reason) but after you request your first payment you will get it back. You will get your money via direct deposit (US), check or international wire.
5. Amazon Associates
There are so many products available for you to promote on your blog – it doesn’t matter what your niche is you will find something to promote. They pay from 4%-10% and the threshold is only $10 which is paid via direct deposit, Amazon gift card or check.
Related: High Paying Affiliate Programs
How you can promote your affiliate links
Now if you all set and applied for affiliate programs and you are approved is time to promote these companies or products. There is a countless way to do so but here are few ideas to start with:
- Write step-by-step tutorial
- Include products or companies in a list (such as gift, tools, etc.)
- Create your resource page and mention them
- Send it to your mailing list
- Use Pinterest
- Write an evergreen article, and add a section on a relevant affiliate to it
Next step to do
So, now you created your content which contains affiliate links. You will ask, what the do next? Don’t forget that is possible to generate income even if you are a smaller blogger but anyhow you still need traffic so readers could see your posts.
- Circulate your posts via Pinterest (not using Pinterest this is a post for beginners)
- Promote it on Twitter
- Add it to Facebook Groups promotional threads (like this one)
- Promote it on Instagram either by posting a photo or just on Insta Story
Remember to be consistent with promoting your content. You can have posts that still make money even though they were written five or six months ago. So always keep your money-making posts in your promotional rotation!
I personally use Tailwind for this which is boosting my blog Pinterest exposure. This is a scheduling tool for managing your pins (while you sleep this tool will work for you). And the best part is that there is a community you can join named Tailwind Tribes (you can join mine here) and in that Tribe are people who will see your pins and will re-pin it to their audience and is the same thing with you, you have pins you could re-pin.
Use Tailwind for free
Now you know some about Affiliate Marketing and you can use it to make money the first day you begin blogging.